Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Naia Jane - April 15th, 2009

Here's little Naia. Her stats are: 7 lbs. 5 oz and 20.5 inches. She arrived on her due date - April 15th - after a long process. Guess we're both a little stubborn. Our contractions started on Sunday night and by Monday morning, I was thinking we were going to head into the hospital. However, the contractions started coming less frequently so they suggested we wait it out at home some more. Monday night there was no rest for the weary. The contractions started kicking up again and we didn't get much sleep again for the second night.
Tuesday we spent most of the day waiting to hit that one minute mark in intensity even though the contractions were coming every 5 minutes. Finally around 7pm we decided to head to the hospital and we were admitted at 3-4 cm dilated. The contractions continued to intensify -- but my water wouldn't break. We were at 8cm dilated by about 2am but just stopped. We finally decided to have the doctors break my water about 4am. Around 6am it was getting brutal without any sleep for the previous two days and we still needed to push. We decided to get an epidural and that helped me to sleep for an hour (and Jeff)! We started pushing at 8am and finally after 4 hours of pushing, at noon the doctors told us that they were seeing some signs of fetal distress and they didn't think that Naia's head was matching up with my pelvis.
So we had to have an emergency C-section. It was one of the more scary experiences -- we knew a little what to expect from our classes, but at 12:36 I heard one of the doctors ask for the knife - and I looked at the anesthesiologist and demanded to know where my husband was!!! He was quickly ushered in and Naia was born at 12:37.

So - the end result was fantastic and we couldn't be more thrilled to have a happy, healthy daughter.....but we definitely learned to go with the flow.
Which is funny -- since Naia means "flowing" in Greek. We had liked the name because of the connotation with water, but it has since taken on some deeper meaning! Her middle name is Jane after my Grandma Janie. She has taken to staying up later at night and will sleep all morning....exactly like Grandma Janie. The only person I know over 70 that I can call at 12am and know I'm not waking her up.
We were discharged from the hospital on Saturday and still trying to play some catch up. Thanks for all the emails and well wishes!
Love
Sarah, Jeff and Naia

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A little longer labor than you would have wanted, I'm sure, but it's still a good story.

Also, I think it's funny they even tried to put a cap on your head. Do they know how much/how thick your head of hair is?

Megan said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I had an emergency C with Aidan. Glad your little girl is safe, sound and gorgeous!