Our doctor's appointment generally went well last week. I had to do a lab test for gestational diabetes, so that involves drinking (A LOT) of very sugary fruit punch flavored liquid - then waiting an hour and getting blood drawn. I'd heard that the liquid can taste awful so I was a little nervous - but other than having to drink so much at one time, I've definitely drank worse.....
Then scooted up to my doctor's appointment with our NP -- everything is progressing well. Baby was not cooperating though when they took the pulse. Kept wiggling about so took her quite some time to get a count - granted, after all that sugar, I'd be wiggling about too, but nothing makes MY heart race faster than not hearing baby's heartbeat - so I'm glad that they finally found it.
Other than that - we started our first week of hospital birthing classes on Wednesday. It was very interesting to see the large variety of people in class. When we went to our "more-info-about-doulas" class, it seemed to be lots of couples in our same age range - similar backgrounds and lifestyles. But at hospital class we were asked to talk about things we had in common so that we could come up with a team name for our table, and discovered that one of the couples at our table was still in high school! Didn't have a whole lot in common (other than we all took algebra right??!) but, we did finally come up with a team name (Team Surprise) since none of us at the table knew the gender of our babies.
We watched a DVD of a birth (no meds) and it definitely seemed a little more real than the last time I was watching these videos (which was 10th grade health class!). Then we practiced some breathing/relaxation techniques (good idea to do that AFTER the DVD I thought....) and the evening was over. Not sure that it is exactly what we are looking for as far as a preparation class, but I think we'll both pull good things out of it.
Weekend was spent shopping for cribs. Who knew they've practically stopped making side drop cribs? For a shorty like me, that wasn't exactly welcome news.......Jeff says next weekend we are tackling carseats. Whew. This feels like the month-o-baby. But perhaps all months will soon feel like that.....:)
2 comments:
I can just see Jeff with all of his spreadsheets comparing cribs and carseats - he's a good guy to have around. Glad to hear all is going smoothly!
Megs
You're lucky, Rocky kept being the "class clown" at our hospital class - I thought I'd have to take him out a few times ;)! Our favorite part was whent the RN said the video wasn't "that graphic..." We all had our mouths open and eyes as wide as saucers! Truly, giving birth wasn't as bad as I expected, though, so try not to worry too much - you'll do great! As far as carseats - we did all the research & settled with the Chicco key fit 30. It got some of the best saftey ratings, and was soooo easy to install & has been great to use. Plus, the baby can stay in it until 30" &/or 30 lbs. It's a bit on the heavy side, but I'd rather have a heavy car seat than a really lightweight one... Hope you're feeling great - can't wait to meet the new Brass!!
LV, Heidi
Post a Comment